For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:9 KJV
Today, I saw a quote by John Piper that made me smile. In just one sentence he put everything and everyone in their place.
Sometimes we forget that the earth does not revolve around us. We forget that God is working out something so much bigger than we can ever comprehend. He graciously lets us be a part of what He is doing but when we don’t understand it, we demand our way, grumble, complain or question Him.
Recently, I came across the following on the Desiring God blog :
Not only may you see a tiny fraction of what God is doing in your life; the part you do see may make no sense to you.
- You may find yourself in prison, and God may be advancing the gospel among the guards, and making the free brothers bold. (Philippians 1:12–14)
- You may find yourself with a painful thorn, and God may be making the power of Christ more beautiful in weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:8)
- You may find yourself with a dead brother that Jesus could have healed, and God may be preparing to show his glory. (John 11)
- You may find yourself sold into slavery, accused falsely of sexual abuse, and forgotten in a prison cell, and God may be preparing you to rule a nation. (Genesis 37-50)
- You may wonder why a loved one is left in unbelief so long, and find that God is preparing a picture of his patience and a powerful missionary. (Galatians 1:15; 1 Timothy 1:12-16)
- You may live in all purity and humility and truth only to end rejected and killed, and God may be making a parable of his Son and an extension of his merciful sufferings in yours. (Isaiah 53:3; Mark 8:31; Colossians 1:24)
- You may walk through famine, be driven from your homeland, lose husband and sons, and be left desolate with one foreign daughter-in-law, and God may be making you an ancestor of a king. (Ruth 1–4)
- You may find the best counselor you’ve ever known giving foolish advice, and God may be preparing the destruction of your enemy. (2 Samuel 17:14)
- You may be a sexually pure single person and yet accused of immorality, and God may be preparing you as a virgin blessing in ways no one can dream. (Luke 1:35) SOURCE
One thing is for certain. I wouldn’t want to serve a god that I could completely understand. How puny would that god be! LH
Featured Photo SOURCE
Latest posts by Lisa Hempel (see all)
- When God Ran - August 28, 2018
- Per Adversitatem Redemptio-Through Adversity, Redemption - March 25, 2018
- More Powerful Than… - January 1, 2018